me Diary of an 80's Trucker me

see first post in archives for explanation of the title (or just click this)

| Kai | Sunset | Blue Skies | Shades | Pirates | Pirate Getaway |

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Green Tea




Not only am I a coffee addict, I also crave a cup of green tea regularly. Why am I drawn into desire for drink? I have cravings for Coke, wine, beer, especially coffee, and green tea. What is it that creates these cravings? Not only for myself, but others around me.

The ancient monks, as well as the modern, chant and meditate for hours upon hours in mountaintops in hopes to reach a state of enlightenment that would bring themselves into a spiritual balance beyond anything imaginable. They are known to break from their chanting and meditation for a cup of green tea. Anthony Keidis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is "closest to Buddhism" than anything else. He regularly relaxes in meditation while drinking green tea. C.S Lewis, a Christian, would meet with others in a pub over a pitcher of beer and discuss the deeper things of God.

What is it with "thinkers" and drinkers? Do we get some kind of spiritually enlightened feeling that makes us feel a little more, well, "enlightened" when we drink certain drinks? I am a Chili Peppers fan, but I (a Christian; a believer in the one and only Son of God, Jesus Christ) began drinking green tea way before I knew that Anthony did the same. I'm sure C.S Lewis drank beer not because someone else he admired drank beer, but for some other reason/s. The monks have been drinking green tea for centuries.

I find it interesting that we, ones who desire a deeper understanding of life or God, tend to draw near to such habits that involve somewhat exotic liquid. Check the regulars at the local coffee shop; the group will include, but isn't limited to, thinking Christians and theologians, atheists digging for meaning in life, philosophers, poets, writers, readers, etc. You will rarely find a "normal", haha!, person in a coffee shop. Maybe that's it! For years people of the sort have been drinking these drinks and meeting in such places. Maybe we don't go to the coffee shop because we feel like it's the "thinking thing to do", but maybe we unconsciously know that it's the "thinking thing to do". Maybe while drinking these drinks, we unconsciously feel a little more intelligent; or like we are in the presence or same standing as histories great "thinkers". ;-)

Until next time, cheers!

4 Comments:

  • At 11:34 PM, Blogger Rick Harper said…

    Amen bro! I like that: We need to get God back into our churches first, then back into our pubs!

    I like green tea with honey as well; however, lately I've been drinking it down with nada in it. It's not too bad.

    I'm gonna try the Earl Gray next time at PJ's.

    Thanks for your comments man!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    DID YOU KNOW YOUR SONS(BOTH OF THEM) LIKE THE CITRUS FLAOVRED GREEN TEA? NO, THEY DON'T LIKE IT, THEY LOVE IT! IS THAT WHY THEY ARE SO SMART?
    LOVE, KATHY

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Rick Harper said…

    My boys, the Thinkers! haha! I'm gonna have to get some of that and share a cup with 'em. Too cool.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Blogger Rick Harper said…

    haha! OK man, it's coming up tonight.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home